Nursing Home or Home Care?
Deciding if a loved one should go to a nursing home is a very difficult decision. Luckily there is an affordable solution for most people that should also be considered. This alternative, home care, is a way for someone to stay in the comfort of their own home while still receiving the care that they need. I know the difficulties of making this decision firsthand as my mother used home care for over two decades. Here are a few key considerations based on my experience that hopefully help you make the right decision.
- Does your loved one need care 24/7 or just during specific times of the day?
- What is their level of mobility? My mom was able to successfully use homecare even though she is a quadriplegic, paralyzed from the neck down.
- Will your loved one be comfortable in their home based on their condition?
- If they stay at home will they be alone for long stretches of time?
- Nursing homes are typically more expensive than home care so you will need to also assess your current financial situation to determine what makes the most sense for you and your family.
- If you are the primary caretaker how will you feel if your loved one was to move into a nursing home?
- Sometimes as the caretaker you need to give yourself a break and home care can help provide this whenever you need it.
There is no one right answer when deciding if your loved one or parent should stay at home with the help of a home care agency or if it is better for them to move to a nursing home. There are many benefits with both options and all of the items mentioned above should be considered when making the decision. If at all possible always ask what your loved one thinks and how they feel about the options.
When you are ready to to explore your options feel free to give us a call, we are here to help.